TARC announces tips for safe winter travel | News
During winter weather, TARC is a reliable transportation option but in the most severe conditions, routes may be detoured to avoid impassable streets and for safety reasons. You can monitor detour information from TARC’s web site homepage – www.ridetarc.org – or by visiting TARC’s Twitter and Facebook pages.
Detours that are most likely in severe conditions are already posted at TARC’s website. TARC detour information will also be made available through media reports and by calling customer service at 585-1234.
TARC operators are trained to handle adverse weather conditions but will not travel roads that are unsafe. If a route has steep hills or other potential dangers, service may be detoured until the roads are cleared.
Snow and ice on the roads affects all traffic and buses may be delayed. Allow plenty of time and plan ahead. Riders can also potentially find alternative routes by using TARC’s Google Maps app located at http://maps.google.com/transit.
Here's how you can be prepared:
• Visit www.ridetarc.org or call 502-585-1234 to check whether your bus line is on a snow route. You can also watch for announcements on local TV and radio stations.
• Dress warmly
• If there's no traffic by your bus stop, walk to a stop on a street where traffic is moving
• If your stop is on a hill, walk to the bottom where the bus can safely stop.
• Stand back from the curb until the bus comes to a complete stop
For additional information on detours for your route, call TARC at 585-1234.
Top Floyd County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Full Moon Bike Ride to take place on K&I Bridge
- Louisville Bats to host military appreciation day at Louisville Slugger Field
- City to livestream news conferences to smart phones
- Louisville Ranks #5 Of The Most Challenging Cities For Springtime Allergies
- UofL scientists uncover how grapefruits provide a secret weapon in medical drug delivery