Scammers involving law enforcement in their act | Crime
WARRICK COUNTY, IN (WAVE) – Scammers are getting law enforcement in on their acts in southern Indiana.
Warrick County Sheriff Brett Kruse said the scammers are from foreign countries. They are calling people and telling them they won a lottery and request money for taxes.
Sheriff Kruse said the scammers then tell the people they need to wire the money to the caller. If the victim refuses the scammers say they will send a police officer to their home to collect the money. The people performing the scam then call police to perform a welfare check on the home they have just called.
"A lot of times they prey on elderly people that for their entire life, they have been conservative people that they don't gamble, they don't play games of chance, and now they're getting scammed,” said Sheriff Kruse.
Sheriff Kruse said this happened twice to the same victim in the past couple of weeks. He advises residents to never send money over the phone.
Copyright 2012 WAVE News. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Floyd County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Some school districts wait, others close, ahead of expected storm
- Driver killed in crash on Clark Memorial Bridge identified
- Crime-fighting Louisville committee still hasn't met
- Officers arrest man after unsuccessful attempt to intimidate strangers to help him flee
- Two suspects arrested in string of restaurant robberies